During the last few months, I’ve done a lot of reading about dragons and their different characteristics. I’ve read fiction and non-fiction. One thing everyone is clear about is that dragons come in lots of pretty colors.
Here are a few interesting facts about dragon scales:
1. The scales cover the entire body of a dragon.
2. The dragon can make its scales stand on end, especially during the preening process.
3. Dragons like to keep their skin and scales impeccably clean.
4. Each scale overlaps and fits perfectly into the next to allow the dragon to move freely.
5. The inner part of the scale consists of hairs. Small glands around the hair follicles secrete a mineral rich substance, which coats the scales. It is this substance that colors the scales and makes them hard.
6. The scales grow and automatically renew like human fingernails and hair. Only a sick dragon will shed its scales.
7. The scales are never even in color, but will be different hues of a dominant color.
Source: The Book of the Dragon by Ciruelo
I’m about to write a new dragon story for my Dragon Investigator series. What color do you think I should make my dragon and why?