All the Middlemarch Shifter stories are set in my home country of New Zealand. I didn’t start out to write a series. In fact my aim was to write a paranormal story featuring black leopard shifters. But it soon became obvious that the brothers I’d given Saber Mitchell, the hero of My Scarlet Woman, weren’t there for decoration. The Mitchell brothers were a close-knit family, and all of Saber’s brothers wanted their time in the spotlight. Then there is Emily, the heroine of My Scarlet Woman, who will turn into quite the matchmaker as the series advances. Her presence in the Mitchell family helps to shape many of the Middlemarch Shifter stories.
At the start of My Scarlet Woman, Saber Mitchell is tired of his younger brothers creating chaos in the town of Middlemarch. They and their friends are always getting into trouble. And I mean always! Saber is starting to worry about gray hair and his sanity. Finally the town elders hatch a plan to hold a singles ball. They figure they’ll do a little matchmaking. A few good women will settle the troublemakers right down. But oops! Saber gets caught in his own trap. One glimpse of Emily Scarlet and Saber is toast.
Ten Things About Family According to Mitchell Law
1. Younger brothers exist for the sole purpose of driving their older brothers crazy, and big brothers are excellent targets for teasing.
2. Family members love you warts and all and know exactly which buttons to push to create chaos.
3. Brothers are the best when you need someone in your corner.
4. Big brothers change once they get married—for the better.
5. Sisters-in-law aren’t so bad, especially if they can cook.
6. Try to avoid sisters-in-law who want to make everyone else as happy as they are.
7. Expectation from family members can be tough.
8. Beware matchmaking sisters-in-law. It bears repeating!
9. Family is always there for you, no matter how big the problem.
10. Family is everything. Family rules.
I’m the oldest in my family, and my two younger siblings used to drive me nuts. Now that we’re adults things are much better! Which order do you come in your family? Do your siblings drive you nuts?