Last weekend, we flew over to Sydney in Australia to go to a show at the Royal Opera House. We saw an oldie but a goodie—Anything Goes.
Thirteen Things About Anything Goes
1. Anything Goes is a musical.
2. The music and the song lyrics were written by the famous Cole Porter.
3. The show debuted in 1934 at the Alvin Theatre on Broadway (now known as the Neil Simon Theatre)
4. The show has been in many theatres around the world and has been filmed twice.
5. The story takes place on an ocean liner (cruise ship) during the voyage from New York to London.
6. Some of the famous songs include Anything Goes, I Get A Kick Out of You and You’re the Top.
7. The original book was written by Guy Bolton and PG Wodehouse.
8. Once the passengers board the ship shenanigans ensue. Billy Crocker has fallen in love at first sight with a woman who he discovers is an heiress. She is aboard the ship with her mother and is going to marry Lord Evelyn Oakleigh. Billy stows away in the hope of winning his love. Throw in a few gangsters, a stern mother, a fake minister and a missionary plus a nightclub singer and everything goes wrong before it goes right again.
9. We attended the 2015 Australian revival, which stars Caroline O’Connor as Reno Sweeney, the nightclub singer. She was fabulous.
10. Ethel Merman played Reno in the 1954 television version of the show.
11. The show has been nominated and has won many awards and accolades since it first played in 1934.
12. The songs from the show have been performed in other movies and television shows such as Blazing Saddles, Evil Under the Sun, Gilmore Girls, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Mission Impossible to name a few.
13. And here is a video of Anything Goes with Caroline O’Connor in the lead. This particular video was shot in Melbourne, early in 2015.
By the time I left the Opera House, my feet wanted to tap.
Have you seen this show? Are you a fan of live shows?