This is another new recipe, and it comes from Essential Vegetarian. The mixture is very like a scone recipe, and you could form this into individual shapes rather than a loaf.
250 grams (2 cups) self-raising flour
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons lemon pepper – if you don’t have this use 1 teaspoon of grated lemon zest and 2 teaspoons of ground black pepper
50 grams (1 3/4 oz) butter
1 Tablespoon of chives – chopped
90 grams (3/4 cup) cheese – grated
2 teaspoons white vinegar
185 ml (3/4 cup) milk
1. Preheat the oven to 210C (425F) and line tray with baking paper.
2. Combine flour, salt, lemon pepper in bowl and rub in butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
3. Combine the milk and the vinegar together. This might curdle but that is fine.
4. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and combine until it forms a soft dough.
5. Turn onto a floured board and knead lightly. Divide mixture in two and form into a rounds. Score each round into eight wedges.
6. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes until the rounds are golden and they sound hollow when the bottoms are tapped.
1. I cooked mine in a loaf tin and made one loaf instead of two rounds.
2. You could also make small individual scones.
3. This loaf is best eaten on the day, warm from the oven, but I toasted slices the next day, and that worked well too.