The kiwi is New Zealand’s national bird. In fact, the New Zealand people are also known as kiwis.
Here are some facts about the kiwi:
1. The kiwi is a flightless bird.
2. Kiwis live in pairs and mate for life.
3. They are mostly nocturnal and live in burrows.
4. They can live for between 25 – 50 years.
5. The kiwi has nostrils at the end of their beak.
6. The kiwi has one of the largest egg-to-body ratio of any bird. They’re huge!
7. The male kiwi does most of the egg incubating.
8. There are five different species of kiwis.
9. The kiwi is vulnerable to introduced pests and numbers have declined. The populations are carefully managed to ensure the bird doesn’t become extinct.
10. It’s our national icon.
Have you seen a kiwi before?