April 8th, 2014
G is for Goat Island

G

Goat Island is an island off the coast of Leigh, not far north of Auckland. It’s part of a marine reserve and is a great place to spend a summer day swimming, snorkelling, diving and taking a trip on the glass bottom boat. The island was named Goat Island because sailors/whalers released goats on the island and would return to hunt them to obtain fresh meat after a long sea voyage.

This is a shot of Goat Island from the mainland. The tide is out in this photo, and you can see the rocks where fish dart around and hide.

These are blue mau-mau, and this photo was taken from the rocks. You can wade into the water and huge snapper swim around your legs. It’s a bit freaky but cool too. People used to feed them frozen peas, although this isn’t allowed these days. The snapper can get quite aggressive and go into a feeding frenzy. People have lost fingers.

Do you like to swim? Snorkel?

14 comments to “G is for Goat Island”

April 8th, 2014 at 2:20 am · Link

That is just so pretty. Feeding frenzy over frozen peas? I have never been snorkeling I have a bit of fear of water where I can’t see the bottom. I used to live near a beach when I lived in California and never went in the ocean past my ankles. lol

April 8th, 2014 at 2:34 am · Link

I like to be able to touch the bottom too. Snapper have sharp teeth. I kept my fingers out of the water and left the peas at home in the freezer!

2. Veronica Sicoe
    April 8th, 2014 at 3:21 am · Link

I’d love to go snorkeling around that island! Looks great.

April 8th, 2014 at 2:02 pm · Link

It’s a really pretty and popular area for locals during the summer.

3. Diane Coto
    April 8th, 2014 at 7:09 am · Link

Hi there – I agree with the other post, this is very pretty. I’m part of the A – Z Challenge also. Good luck through the rest of April. :)

4. LuAnn Braley
    April 8th, 2014 at 11:32 am · Link

Beautiful scenery! I understand about the fish. I ran into the same problem with some ducks at a pond near where I used to work. I ended up having to RUN!

LuAnn Braley
    AJ’s Hooligans @AtoZChallenge
    Back Porchervations

April 8th, 2014 at 2:03 pm · Link

LOL – You can’t get between ducks and food either.

5. anna@herding cats & burning soup
    April 8th, 2014 at 1:14 pm · Link

Oh yes that is totally freaky. I’d have to watch from shore. lol They lost fingers? Gah! Nope. Staying on shore.

Are there still goats on the island?

April 8th, 2014 at 2:03 pm · Link

No, the goats are long gone, but the name remains.

6. Liz A.
    April 8th, 2014 at 1:22 pm · Link

I think the fish would freak me out a bit. I’ve never been snorkeling. (I don’t enjoy swimming that much, either.)

April 8th, 2014 at 2:04 pm · Link

The glass bottom boat is great for those who don’t enjoy swimming or snorkeling. You can also walk around the rocks and see a lot of the fish without getting wet.

7. Nancy Henderson
    April 8th, 2014 at 5:03 pm · Link

Gorgeous fish! I love looking at fish. I’ve never snorkeled. I’m not very brave. It’s something I’d love to do but I’m just scared.

8. Leslie S. Rose
    April 8th, 2014 at 9:00 pm · Link

I am DYING DYING DYING to go to New Zealand. I’ll have to consult you when I finally plan a trip. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Those pix are stunning.