This is a really delicious bread!
1 tablespoon golden syrup
2 cups boiling water
2 cups milk
1 tablespoon dry granulated yeast
450 grams/16 oz high-grade flour
450 grams/16 oz wholemeal flour
1 ½ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons wheatgerm
½ cup sunflower seeds
½ cup pumpkin seeds
Extra seeds to garnish
1. Mix syrup, water and milk together. Sprinkle yeast over and stand for five minutes until frothy.
2. Combine dry ingredients and make a well in the center. Pour in the yeast mixture and mix together well. The mixture will have a sticky consistency.
3. Divide the dough into two well-oiled tins and sprinkle with pumpkin and sunflower seeds on top.
4. Put loaf tins in a cold oven, and turn the temperature to 50 C/120 F. Leave for half an hour for the bread to rise. Remove the bread and increase the oven temp to 200 C/390 F then bake for approx half an hour until top is golden and loaves sound hollow when tapped.
5. Turn onto wire rack to cool. Bread will keep fresh for three to four days. It can also be pre-sliced and frozen in a plastic bag to use as needed.
Recipe from Nadia’s Kitchen by Nadia Lim.
1. In my oven 33 minutes is the sweet spot for cooking this loaf.
2. This makes great toast.
3. I make one loaf and use a muffin tin to make twelve bread rolls.
4. This has become my go-to recipe for bread. It’s easy and tastes great!!
5. My cut loaf looks a bit ragged in the photo. My fault – I was impatient to cut and sample.