With the arrival of cooler weather, I decided to make soup the other night. I wanted to make a soup in the crockpot and chose this recipe for carrot and lentil soup from Joan bishop’s New Zealand Crockpot and Slow Cooker Cookbook.
1 onion, chopped into dice
3 cloves crushed garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 Tablespoon grated fresh ginger
2 large carrots
7 cups of vegetable or chicken stock
300g split red lentils (about one cup)
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1. Preheat the crockpot.
2. Combine all the ingredients apart from the lemon juice and the salt in the crockpot.
3. Cover with lid and cook on high for five to six hours.
4. Add the lemon juice and salt to taste.
5. Cool a little then puree either in a food processor or with a blender. Return to the crockpot and reheat.
6. Serve with a spoonful of Greek yoghurt swirled in the top and fresh bread or pita bread.
1. I added some chopped leeks to my soup since I had some in the fridge.
2. This soup was really easy since I dumped everything in the crockpot and left it to cook. The final product was delicious. I’d definitely make this soup again.
What is your favorite soup to eat/make?