May 6th, 2013
The Music and Writing Combo

iStock_000008484482Medium

A lot of writers love music and use it as an inspirational source while working or fleshing out their characters. They develop playlists for their stories and listen to them in order to get into a specific mood.

Not me.

When I get into the writing groove I don’t hear anything except the characters and what they’re telling me. The truth is music is wasted on me while I’m in the writing mode.

Today I’m visiting Susan at West of Mars. I’ll be at her Meet & Greet and talking about the song I think of in conjunction with One Night of Misbehavior. Pop over and say hello.

Do you listen to music while writing or reading? Do you do playlists for your books?

11 comments to “The Music and Writing Combo”

May 6th, 2013 at 4:22 am · Link

I listen to music when I edit sometimes. If I’m plotting and writing, I tend to have silence.

May 6th, 2013 at 2:36 pm · Link

Nodding – music during editing isn’t so bad. I don’t need silence – any background noise is okay. I just don’t register it!

2. Ciara Knight
    May 6th, 2013 at 6:41 am · Link

I listen to music when I’m writing sometimes. It drowns out some of the kids noises sometimes. :)

May 6th, 2013 at 2:37 pm · Link

Kid noises would be distracting. I have puppy noises or rather a puppy trying to climb up on top of my laptop in order to get a cuddle.

May 6th, 2013 at 6:59 am · Link

I need total silence to write, but occasionally, I will listen to music before I start writing to get me into the spirit of the scene.

May 6th, 2013 at 2:38 pm · Link

Yes, I can understand the music beforehand. I’ve never actually tried that. I tend to just sit down and write. I’m a “Just do it” kind of person :)

4. Heather L
    May 6th, 2013 at 1:18 pm · Link

Sometimes, depending on the mood and what I’m reading/writing — but not if it’s loud. Loud is too distracting.

May 6th, 2013 at 2:40 pm · Link

Yes, loud can be distracting. Last week a courier arrived for our neighbour. He honked on his horn for ages before I caved and went out and signed for the parcel for my neighbours. It was the only way to get peace!

5. Sandra Cox
    May 6th, 2013 at 4:22 pm · Link

On my way over.

May 7th, 2013 at 12:20 am · Link

I listen to music all the time while I’m online writing, playing around on blogs and when I’m offline reading I have my headphones on listening to music as well.