March 15th, 2013
Biding His Thyme: It’s All in a Name

Biding His Thyme, book four in my Fancy Free series, is out later today at Ellora’s Cave. My heroine is called Sorrel Thyme, and she lives in a cult. The rest of the people who live in the cult call Sorrel “Bitter” since that is the literal meaning of her name. Sorrel hates it, and I’m pretty sure if her mother was still around, the rest of the Children of Nature inhabitants wouldn’t be quite as mean. Sorrel just ignores the nickname, although it hurts being called Bitter instead of Sorrel.

Naming characters in a book takes almost as much time as naming a child in real life. I scan my baby naming book and try out several names before deciding on the perfect one. There are many pitfalls when it comes to picking a name. Check out my article on Naming Characters, which explains some of them.

When it came to Sorrel Thyme, I deliberately picked a name that would get her teased. Her surname also connects nicely with her occupation. She works with herbs and flowers making beauty products and a special potion called the Dream Cream. Her name and nickname become part of her characterization.

How do/did you go about picking names for your children/characters? Did you find it stressful? (I sure find picking names stressful!)

Biding His Thyme

Born in the Children of Nature cult, Sorrel “Bitter” Thyme is destined to spend the rest of her life there, but not if she has her way. She’s perfected the dream cream that enhances orgasmic pleasure in those who use it. Now she must approach Fancy Free management with her invention while making sure the cult leader doesn’t learn of her idea and steal Sorrel’s chance of escape.

Jake Ramsey, a Special Air Services soldier on sick leave, agrees to go undercover in the cult to help local police close a case against the leader. Sorrel is his inside contact, a woman who is constantly ridiculed by the other cult members.

The partnership works well and kisses meant to cement their cover take on new possibilities. Jake uncovers secrets, and their loving heats up, passion coalescing into more than friendship. Then Sorrel is tossed into danger. What began as a favor is now deadly serious—-a game Jake must win to keep Sorrel safe.

Purchase from Ellora’s Cave

8 comments to “Biding His Thyme: It’s All in a Name”

1. Nessa
    March 15th, 2013 at 7:29 am · Link

I took along time naming my daughter and made sure the only nickname she could get would be a cool one (Erika/Ricky.) But she never got a nickname.

This book sounds like fun and is now on my Wish List.

Flash 55 – Remote

March 15th, 2013 at 9:51 pm · Link

Nicknames can be very troublesome. My parents were initially looking at calling me Michelle. They decided that this would get shortened to Shelley and went with that instead.

Thanks :)

March 15th, 2013 at 10:31 am · Link

My then hubby named our daughter. He seemed intent on her having a name that sounded pretty but had positive meaning. He even did research for her middle name lol! Of course, all this is great but sort of ends flat when your last name is Brown lol!!!

March 15th, 2013 at 9:52 pm · Link

I actually like Brown as a surname. No one spells it wrong. You want to try having Munro!

March 15th, 2013 at 1:22 pm · Link

I can’t imagine picking names for characters in books, especially when you have new books out all the time and always have to come up with something new.

We picked my daughter’s name by using the grandmothers middle name as her middle name since both of our mothers middle names was Ann, it was quite easy.

I was named after both of my grandmothers Mary Elizabeth and Melissa Brenny..so the name they picked for me was Mary Melissa, after both of my grandmothers and Ken and I both liked Elizabeth Ann, so that’s what we named her.

March 15th, 2013 at 9:55 pm · Link

It’s nice when you can keep names in the family. My BIL is Allen Wayne. When their first son was born they called him Wayne Allen. It was an easy process for them!

March 15th, 2013 at 6:54 pm · Link

All we name at our house are pets. They’re our kids.

Sometimes we have the best of intentions but as they get older they sometimes grow into the names they’re known by.

Sometimes we can’t repeat those names in polite company. LOL!

March 15th, 2013 at 9:58 pm · Link

LOL I hear you, Maria, on the names in polite company. Bella came already named. We liked the name so we kept it.

I guess pets don’t get teased the same way as kids, but it’s still difficult thinking of names that capture them.

My sister named her kitten after Sonny Bill, a rugby league player down this end of the world. The other day, he turned up with a new friend who appears to have set up camp at her place. Now she needs to think up another name. She intends to go with the rugby theme.