I love pasta. It’s my go-to meal when I’m in a hurry. Guess what we had for dinner tonight?
Thirteen Facts and Trivia about Pasta
1. They say Marco Polo introduced pasta to Italy after his visit to China, but pasta in Italy can be traced back to the 4th century BC. A picture in an Etruscan tomb shows a group of natives making something that looks like pasta.
2. Pasta is great for those on a budget and is very versatile.
3. Pasta can come in different colors. Squid ink colors the black pasta, saffron for yellow pasta, spinach for green, saffron for yellow and tomatoes for red.
4. It’s said that Thomas Jefferson introduced macaroni to America after he ate and enjoyed macaroni in Naples.
5. Flat pasta is best with cream sauces while tomato sauces will cling to pasta shapes.
6. Pasta is best cooked al dente. The literal translation is “to the tooth”. Pasta should be firm yet still be tender when eaten.
7. Pasta is a good source of carbohydrates.
8. Most pasta is made using wheat flour with high quality pasta being made from durum wheat.
9. The BBC conned lots of people with their April Fool’s trick in 1957. They told people that spaghetti grew on trees and that severe frosts could affect the flavor of the spaghetti.
10. The word pasta comes from the Italian word paste.
11. Pasta should be eaten with only a fork.
12. Italians eat more pasta per year than anyone else.
13. Trendy men during the 18th century were called Macoronis. They wore fashionable clothes with very “high” hair and all the latest accoutrements of the time.
Do you like pasta? What is your favorite sort?