I mentioned yesterday that Strawberry Shortcake Muffins rank among one of my favorites. The recipe came from the Baking Makes Things Better blog, which I highly recommend if you enjoy baking.
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
¾ cup sugar
½ cup butter, (113 grams) cold from fridge and cut into cubes
1 cup cream
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 – 1 ½ cups strawberries, diced
1. Mix the flour, baking powder and sugar in a large bowl. Add the butter and rub into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
2. Mix the beaten egg, cream and vanilla together in another bowl. Add these wet ingredients to the dry. Combine until just incorporated.
3. Mix in the diced strawberries, combining carefully.
4. Spoon into 12 muffin cases.
5. Bake in a 180C oven for around 20 minutes or until they are golden brown.
The original recipe called for a topping of diced strawberries and whipped cream or a dusting of icing sugar. I ate the muffins plain, still warm from the oven, and they were delicious. I also froze some and that worked well too. As mentioned, they were delicious. A real taste of summer in a muffin.