The strawberry season is drawing to an end down here in New Zealand. I’m a huge fan of strawberries. Let me count the ways….
Reasons Shelley Likes Strawberries:
1. The appearance of the first strawberries is a signal that summer is underway.
2. They’re low in calories and very tasty. Often I’ll pick and eat. They never make it inside.
3. Strawberries and chocolate are a match made in heaven. They’re the perfect treat to eat during a romantic rendezvous.
4. Strawberries also go well with champagne. It’s that romance thing again!
5. Strawberry shortcake muffins are delicious. Recipe to follow tomorrow.
Sundry Facts About Strawberries:
1. They say wild strawberries grew in Italy as early as 234 BC.
2. Settlers of Virginia discovered wild strawberries in 1588.
3. The acids in strawberries help to whiten teeth.
4. They’re full of vitamin C, contain flavonolds and help reduce cholesterol. They also contain folic acid, potassium and fibre.
5. Black pepper and strawberries go well together. Better for diets, no?
6. If you ever go to the Wimbledon tennis make sure you have some strawberries. It’s a tradition, and they go through thousands of kilos of strawberries during the tournament. Around 27,000! And I have to say it’s an enjoyable experience.
7. They’re a member of the rose family.
8. There are around 200 seeds in each strawberry.
Are you a fan of strawberries, and if so, what is your favorite way to eat them?