January 10th, 2013
13 Facts About NZ Green Lipped Mussels

Thursday Thirteen

New Zealand is known for its green lipped mussels, so I decided mussels would make a great topic for a TT.

Thirteen Factoids about Green Lipped Mussels

1. Their scientific name is perna canalicula.

2. Mussels are native to New Zealand and are found all around the coast.

3. They are also farmed on a commercial basis.

4. Mussels live on rocks in the intertidal zone and feed on phytoplankton.

5. The shells are a brownish/green color and the outer edges are green, which is where their name comes from.

New Zealand Green Lipped Mussels

6. The commercial farming of mussels is highly regulated. The mussels and the water they grow in are tested for toxins on a regular basis.

7. It’s one of the largest mussel species.

8. They contain a unique brand of fatty acids, which are not found anywhere else.

9. New Zealand produces over 140,000 tonnes of mussels a year.

10. At present the mussels cost $1.50 for a pound (NZ$2.99 for a kilo) at the supermarket.

11. The omega acids in mussels are said to benefit those with inflammatory diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis.

12. They are also said to be good for those with asthma symptoms and stomach ailments.

13. My husband loves mussels and eats them on a regular basis. I think they’re repulsive. I don’t like the texture or the yucky bits of the actual mussel. I’m alone in my dislike though because even Bella likes them. My husband tosses the shells out on the lawn and she spends days chewing the hinge bit that is left on the shell when the mussel is removed.

Do you like mussels? Have you tried New Zealand Green Lipped mussels?

22 comments to “13 Facts About NZ Green Lipped Mussels”

January 10th, 2013 at 2:32 am · Link

I’ve had these particular mussels but I love smoked mussels and smoked oysters. I had a can of them just the other day and shared one with my rats who loved it. lol

January 10th, 2013 at 12:03 pm · Link

Ugh, I’m not a fan of smoked ones either. Your rat can eat my share.

2. Kimberly Menozzi
    January 10th, 2013 at 4:09 am · Link

I’m allergic to shellfish, unfortunately, so can’t eat them. Before I found out I was allergic, I tried eating them and just didn’t care for the taste or texture (the same for most seafood and shellfish, actually).

I’m an odd duck.

Happy TT! :)

January 10th, 2013 at 12:05 pm · Link

I don’t like all the bits inside the mussels. You’re not missing anything! A lot of people are allergic.

January 10th, 2013 at 5:57 am · Link

Wow. I never knew they had so many health benefits. I’ve had them smoked, but I don’t recall if I’ve had them any other way.

January 10th, 2013 at 12:06 pm · Link

The green lipped ones are particularly full of the good stuff.

4. Colleen@LooseLeafNotes
    January 10th, 2013 at 8:06 am · Link

I used to dig clams as s kid, grew up in a beach town. You have to put a lot of butter on clams and mussels to disguise their slippery ways.

January 10th, 2013 at 12:06 pm · Link

LOL – that’s very true! Butter hides many sins.

5. Jennifer Leeland
    January 10th, 2013 at 8:34 am · Link

I had no idea that these mussels had a fatty acid not found in anything else. Cool.
    I don’t like mussels either. And I only like clams in soup or dip. LOL!
    Texture is an issue. Plus, there’s an after taste my husband loves, but I do NOT.

January 10th, 2013 at 12:08 pm · Link

It’s the green lipped ones that are full of extra goodness. I hate kissing hubby after he’s eaten mussels. The scent seems to ooze out of the pores too. Very yucky!

6. Alice Audrey
    January 10th, 2013 at 8:49 am · Link

I’ve never had one with green lips. It looks fun. Hope they test the water and muscles of the ones i do eat.

January 10th, 2013 at 12:08 pm · Link

Definitely try them if you have the opportunity.

January 10th, 2013 at 1:03 pm · Link

I’ve never been a fan of seafood of any kind (maybe it comes from being landlocked?), so I’ll leave these to you. ;-)

January 10th, 2013 at 11:19 pm · Link

My husband likes them enough to eat everyone else’s share.

8. Paige Tyler
    January 10th, 2013 at 1:03 pm · Link

Fun TT, though they are kinda icky tasting! LOL!

*hugs*
    Paige

My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com/

January 10th, 2013 at 11:19 pm · Link

Icky is a good word for them. :)

9. Stephanie Sullivan
    January 10th, 2013 at 2:01 pm · Link

Since I’m allergic to seafood, I guess I won’t be able to try this. *sniff sniff* Great facts though. Happy Thursday, Shelley!

January 10th, 2013 at 11:20 pm · Link

IMO there are more delicious foods!

10. Nas
    January 10th, 2013 at 2:07 pm · Link

Hi Shelley,

Interesting about the health benefits. I just showed this post to my hubby.

But for some reason I feel I’m chewing gum when eating mussels and I don’t like it. I tried cooking in pressure cooker, baking and some other ways, but no.

Yet, once I ate it at a cousin’s, she had baked it in coconut cream and it was really yummy. I have been trying to duplicate that ever since as like NZ, we also get mussels here a lot. But I haven’t yet found the perfect way to make it.

January 10th, 2013 at 11:25 pm · Link

Chewing gum is a good description! Hubby just boils them in a pot, adding things like wine, herbs, tomato pasta type sauce to increase flavour.

I’ll have to ask hubby about the coconut cream and see if he’s tried them this way.

11. kay
    January 10th, 2013 at 8:22 pm · Link

ahhh … one of my favorite “fast” foods :) so easy to fix … great finger food.

12. kandyblossom
    January 11th, 2013 at 12:27 am · Link

Interesting read, but I still think I will pass on them. YUCK!