June 13th, 2012
Walking on Sunshine

Sunflower (Fotolia_1832846_L)

I was listening to the radio the other day, and the announcer interviewed a woman about Vitamin D. I found it fascinating because vitamin D isn’t something I think about every day. Like many people, I try to eat a balanced diet, one that contains all the vital elements of protein, carbohydrate and vitamins, so my ears perked up.

So, what is vitamin D?

It’s a vitamin the body manufactures when we’re out in the sunshine, and if we have a shortage, we can get rickets (crooked limbs and knock knees) or our bones can become brittle. There are also a few foods that contain vitamin D—oily fish like salmon, milk and milk products and eggs.

The woman was saying that because the sun cancer message is getting through, people in New Zealand and Australia aren’t going outside as much and therefore aren’t getting enough vitamin D. There is also a large portion of the population who spend most of their time indoors for work or by preference. Her solution was for legislation to make manufacturers add Vitamin D to certain food products. Evidently this has been successful in countries like Canada, which have long winter months with no sunshine.

On a personal note, I prefer to go with natural food without additives. I remember my home economics teacher telling us years ago to make sure our meals were colorful, with lots of different vegetables, and I’ve subscribed to that advice ever since.

So the moral of this story is that we all need to get outside in the sun for a daily walk, but we need to take care not to get sunburnt. It’s a delicate balancing act, but we need our Vitamin D for good health. I go outside every day. If I don’t I get cabin fever and become very grumpy. It’s obviously my body demanding vitamin D!

And on another topic completely, is anyone else experiencing problems with Facebook? People keep adding me to their groups, and no matter what I try, I keep getting messages from groups I haven’t accepted join requests from. I’m not a fan of Facebook anyhow, because they keep shifting the goal posts, but this is driving me nuts.

Do you go outside every day? Did you know about vitamin D? Does Facebook drive you to distraction?

16 comments to “Walking on Sunshine”

June 13th, 2012 at 3:38 am · Link

I’m supposed to take a prescribed Vit D supplement everyday as I am low in that one. As for Facebook, it drives me nuts. I have no answers to your question.

June 13th, 2012 at 10:24 pm · Link

I’m glad I’m not the only one that is driven to despair by Facebook!

June 13th, 2012 at 5:30 am · Link

I try to sit out in the sun daily and for the days I don’t I also take a supplement. I think you get so distracted by work the day just runs away. Oh yes FB, the downfall.

June 13th, 2012 at 10:25 pm · Link

I agree, Savannah. We’re all trying to jam so much in our days that spending a little time outside comes last.

June 13th, 2012 at 5:40 am · Link

To your questions: Yes. Yes. And Yes.

I tend my garden and animals daily so I always get plenty of sun. I do try to avoid going out there in the heat of the day though.

Ref: FB
    It is driving me insane. I keep getting these updates from individuals or groups. I’ve gone to the email notification panel but I can’t find a way to keep from getting these notices. I had to delete someone from my friends’ list because I didn’t know how else to stop the incessant emails.

If you find out, let me know. Good luck.

June 13th, 2012 at 10:26 pm · Link

Maria – this week I’m receiving a lot of requests from people to like their page. The notifications seem to come in groups. Last week it was Release parties. :(

4. Ciara Knight
    June 13th, 2012 at 5:51 am · Link

I’m a veggie kind of gal. The more color the better. I did know about Vitamin D, but since I’ve had skin cancer-grew up in Florida-I take my Vitamin D in small doses with sunscreen.

June 13th, 2012 at 10:28 pm · Link

That’s the catch 22 situation. Sun cancer rates are high down this end of the world. We’re told to slip, slop and slap. By the time we do that, there’s no skin for the sun and vitamin D to get to!

5. Angela B
    June 13th, 2012 at 11:07 am · Link

I’m not big on FB and hardly go out there. I admire those who use it well and know what they’re doing.

I’m getting better about going outside, but I do buy my orange juice fortified with Vitamin D and ensure to take multi-vitamins.

June 13th, 2012 at 10:29 pm · Link

Angela,

Some people, and authors in particular, do a great job with Facebook and have everything sussed. I’m not one of them. Obviously!!

June 13th, 2012 at 1:21 pm · Link

I try to walk for about an hour at least 3-4 times a week. Not only is it good exercise and a good way to absorb vit D, there was a little segment on GMA this morning that said walking a half hour a day decreases osteoporosis in the hips.

As for facebook…not on it, don’t want to be on it, despise people/companies that try to force you to sign up and “like” them in order to enter contests.

June 13th, 2012 at 10:30 pm · Link

They say walking is very good for you. That’s what I normally do. It cures my cabin fever nicely.

June 13th, 2012 at 5:55 pm · Link

I get added to groups and it really annoys me. I’ve told my friends like a million times not to add me to groups and they still do.

I walk outside each day..for a little bit. I did know about vitamin D. :)

June 13th, 2012 at 10:31 pm · Link

I know. The adding to groups thing drives me around the bend! The other day I went and unadded myself from a heap of group I never approved.

8. Sandra Cox
    June 16th, 2012 at 3:39 pm · Link

Yup, Vitamin D, is an important one. I take it every day. When the hubby went down with pneumonia, the doctor suggested he start taking it.

9. Sandra Cox
    June 16th, 2012 at 3:40 pm · Link

PS The pic is breathtaking.