This is a photo of me cycling back to camp after visiting a crocodile farm. Hard work in the heat!
Savvy Authors did a spotlight on me and asked some great questions. Read the full interview here at Savvy Authors.
A few days ago I received a lovely email from an elderly gentleman who told me how he’d seen Ellora’s Cave mentioned on the Howard Stern show, and he’d gone off to check out their books. He chose to read Fancy Free, and he wrote to tell me how much he’d enjoyed it. He made my day with his lovely note.
This made me start thinking about the books I’ve read recently. I’ve read some really good ones, like Divergence by Veronica Roth and the Wolves of Mercy Falls series by Maggie Stiefvater. Books that have left a real impression on me and made me think about my own writing. I thought of how my fan letter made my day, and I came to a decision. Authors work so hard on their books. If I enjoy a book in the future, I’m going to take the time to show my appreciation in some small way.
So how will I do this?
Here are a few ways you can help out one of your favorite writers:
1. Send them an email and tell them you enjoyed their story. Most authors have a contact address at their websites.
2. Tweet them and tell them you enjoyed their book.
3. Tell your friends about the great book you’ve just read.
4. Tell the author on their Facebook page.
5. Write a review at your favorite online store – Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Goodreads, Publisher website.
6. Mention the book on your blog.
7. Create a Pinterest board of your favorite books and maybe some of the elements that fit with the stories.
8. Subscribe to their author newsletter so you won’t miss their next release!
What do you do after reading a book you’ve really enjoyed? Do you contact the author or spread the word in some way?