June 8th, 2012
Check out this Dystopian Regency Romance by K Reed

My special guest today is author K Reed who has an interesting new release, which is set during Regency times. This is no ordinary Regency romance because K Reed has come up with a very interesting twist. I’ll let her tell you about it….

1. Give us an elevator pitch (one sentence) for your book, Dark Inheritance: Fallen Empire.

Dystopian Regency Romance

2. Where did the idea for your book come from and did you originally envisage more than one book in the series?

From the get go, I’ve envisioned a series, but that all depends on whether this first book is well received. The idea was simple enough: I wanted to stand out in the Regency Romance world.

3. How do you go about developing your characters? Do you normally start with a character or the plot?

In this one, I started with the world and the devastation that came from that creation. The characters were a logical development of their experiences. The characters developed in tandem with the world they were thrust into. However, I did start with certain personalities.

4. Describe the sights, sounds and scents we might experience if we were to visit Grayson, Baron of Harwich during a normal day.

If you were to walk with Grayson during a typical day in his brave new world, you’d rise before the sun, inspect and survey not only the estate, but the village, the barricades, and the supplies and maintenance of the people under your care. Then you’d have to keep an eye on the ever-present danger–from desperate souls beyond the barricades and from foreign enemies.

Meals, training, inspecting the troops, so to speak, listening to complaints and problems of the villagers. At the end of the day, there’d be no real time for any indulgences…unless it was well worth it!

By the end of all this, you’d see how dedicated Baron Harwich is not only to his estate and village, but to England. He’s a man with a deep sense of duty.

5. What is your favorite part of the writing process? What is the hardest part for you? Is there one thing you’d like to have a fairy godmother wave her magic wand and do for you?

I’d plot out the books with incredibly detailed outlines, then wave my magic wand and down to the last detail it’d appear on the screen before me. With no spelling mistakes!

6. How much research have you needed to do for Dark Inheritance: Fallen Empire? Do you have any favorite research sources you can share with us?

I’m sorry, but my time machine is programmed for my use only. I’d love to share but it just won’t let me! Don’t worry, I didn’t change the course of anything. I don’t think…does that hot affair with Lord Byron count?

Actually, I did a lot with the map, I prefer bing.com maps, easier to navigate. I needed the location of Harwich, then the history of it, etc. I also used generalizations, such as who the Prime Minister was and certain locations.

7. What is your favorite way to unwind after a long and busy day?

Game of Thrones. Tyrion’s sarcasm gets me through the day! That and a long walk, or vegging on the couch with something from the DVR I don’t need to pay too much attention to.

CONTEST: K Reed is giving away nine Post-apocalypse survival baskets (which include tea, a fan, a shawl, a bracelet and more — Plus ONE Grand Prize basket will include an iPod Touch) to randomly drawn commenters during her tour – US/Canada only. Follow the rest of K Reed’s Dark Inheritance tour to obtain more chances to win!

She has a question for you: How much sex do you like in your stories? What do you consider too much? It’s a question I’ve long grappled with. What’s mainstream? What’s not? I’m not known for being shy when writing a sex scene.

Dark Inheritance: Fallen Empire

BLURB:

The once glittering ballrooms of Regency England now lay desolate. A plague has ravaged the countryside. The government has fallen. What vestiges of order remained have been consumed by the endless funeral pyres.

Grayson, once the Baron of Harwich, sought only to protect his people. Rescuing a half-dead woman was not among his plans. But something about her pulled at him. Perhaps it was her beauty, still evident beneath the pallor of loss. Perhaps it was the recently fired rifle at her side. Or maybe he was simply tried of death. All he knew was that the plague had taken too much already. He couldn’t let it take her as well.

Lady Juliette Adair had been ready to die with her brother. She didn’t expect to be shown mercy in a world that had no room for mercy. When Grayson saved her she questioned his motives but soon found herself intrigued by him, drawn to him.

Societal rules were a thing of the past, dead along with the ton. Juliette had no manner by which to measure her growing closeness to Grayson any longer. But when she discovers he may not be the man she thought she knew more is at stake than just her heart. The secrets she carries could make a king or destroy one.

SHORT EXCERPT

He didn’t know what made him look, what sound captured his attention, but he suddenly knew he was not alone. Cursing his carelessness, he drew his sword and looked around. There, on the opposite side of the bed, pushed against the wall.

She lay on a settee, head resting on one arm, dark hair falling down the side of the sofa. He glanced to the bed, to the man there, and wondered who the dead pair were. She looked to have survived the plague; her face and neck were thin and smooth. Died of neglect, then. The last living being in the house and she couldn’t summon the strength to feed herself.

His eyes locked on the rifle lying just under her reach. Sheathing his sword, it was then he noticed that powder marks blackened her hands and were smudged along her face and neck. He quickly scanned the area, a small bag of powder and a case of shot rested on a nearby chair.

Cautiously walking closer, Grayson crouched before the prone figure and surprised himself by reaching out to touch her. He stopped just short of her cheek, curling his fingers into a fist. He took a brief moment to admire her beauty.

Even in death, she captivated.

Standing, he picked up the rifle and backed away, turning to search the rest of the room before he’d take the powder and shot.

That was when he heard her moan.

K Reed, Author Bio:

Romance author with an historical twist.

Too many post-apocalyptic stories, movies, and what-ifs crowded her head, and K Reed decided to do something about it. So she plotted one out, decided an historical post-apocalyptic romance was the way to go, and wrote that one instead.

A lover of all things historical, of strong heroes with equally strong heroines, and of sexy pirates, she’s going to explore the post-apocalyptic world of plague-ridden 1804 and the gritty criminal element of Victorian England.

Luckily she has an understanding family, supportive friends, and a day job that offers her the flexibility she needs to plot, plan, and write. Sure, one day she’d like to travel the country in search of fantastic storylines and great locale pictures, but for now she’ll stick to the east coast and the internet.

@kreedauthor

www.kreedauthor.com

kreedauthor@yahoo.com

All Romance

Amazon

Barnes and Noble

17 comments to “Check out this Dystopian Regency Romance by K Reed”

1. Goddess Fish Promotions
    June 8th, 2012 at 2:39 am · Link

Thank you for hosting today!

2. Ciara Knight
    June 8th, 2012 at 6:06 am · Link

I’ve never heard of a Dystopian Regency Romance. I’m seriously intrigued. I love things that are different.

3. Shauna
    June 8th, 2012 at 7:33 am · Link

So excited for this book!! And Tyrion is by far the best Game of Thrones character, followed by Jaime and Jon.

4. K.Reed
    June 8th, 2012 at 9:05 am · Link

Thanks for hosting me today!

Ciara, different is great, isn’t it!

Shauna, Tyrion rocks! He cracks me up every episode. I like both Jamie and Jon, and also Kahlessi, Danyious (did I spell that remotely correctly?).

June 8th, 2012 at 9:26 am · Link

Another wonderful interview..I really enjoyed it. The book sounds fantastic..Something different and very interesting…

June 8th, 2012 at 9:54 am · Link

That excerpt was wonderful!

As for your question, I did a lot of reading of novels with gratuitous sex scenes when I was a little younger. Even played around with and put out something with a bit of gratuitousness myself, but with a head for YA, I can stand less in the way of in depth sex scenes and more in the way of sensations and emotional draw.

7. Nikki
    June 8th, 2012 at 11:09 am · Link

Everyone was upset when Stark was killed but I got more upset when Khral (I think I spelled that right?) was. Hey you need man candy as well as good characters! I was so upset when I thought they killed Tyrion off that I almost didnt watch the last one..lol. It was good this year! It as been an enjoyable tour and it was nice to ge to know you and your book through it! I can’t wait to read it! Its on the TBR.
    viajeradelmar@aol.com

8. Shelley Munro
    June 8th, 2012 at 1:08 pm · Link

Welcome K Reed :)
    Your story has such a great premise. I like the fact that it’s very different.

Sex in books – for me it can go either way, but the love scenes need to advance the story. I like quite a bit of plot in my stories.

9. K. Reed
    June 8th, 2012 at 3:23 pm · Link

I like mixing genres, though I’m told it’s usually a no-no.

Do you mean Khal Drogo? Yeah…yum! I agree about Tyrion, I was going to be so mad, but then I relized that Tyrion may be honorable in his own way, but too dark to be conisdered truly good. He’s probably not in danger of being killed off anytime soon. I hope!

June 8th, 2012 at 4:28 pm · Link

That’s a very interesting original idea. sounds great.

June 8th, 2012 at 4:58 pm · Link

This definitely caught my interest. It has all the elements I love best. I’ll be checking it out as soon as I leave here.

Ref: sex in stories
    I like sex scenes, but not for titillation. It’s got to be important to the story and the characters.

It’s nice to meet you, K!

12. Catherine
    June 8th, 2012 at 5:08 pm · Link

K…You achieved your goal of setting yourself apart from other Regency romance authors. The idea is inspired! I adore the description of Baron of Harwich, who seems so determined to restore order during chaos. He’s a natural leader and very appealing.
    catherinelee100 at gmail dot com

June 8th, 2012 at 5:26 pm · Link

I recently read a regency romance and really liked it. I didn’t even know about dystopian regency! I wish I also had that magic wand that you mentioned above. :)

14. bn100
    June 8th, 2012 at 8:26 pm · Link

The book sounds good. I think it depends on the type of book.

bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

15. Nikki
    June 8th, 2012 at 8:41 pm · Link

Oh yeah Khal Drogo!! I agree Tyrion is dark but he is vastly entertaining. He is the only one with the balls to stand up to Cersie. Hes at least going to be around for another season anyway!!

16. Emily W.
    June 9th, 2012 at 12:48 am · Link

I don’t like tons of sex unless I specifically buy a book that’s all about the sex. In a book that has an actual plot like this one, a few sex scenes are good, particularly if they help move the story along. And don’t drag them out. I read a 200 page novel once where about 50 pages in the middle were a giant drawn out sex scene with small breaks in the middle. I ended up skipping most of it.

Also, don’t just throw in sex scenes to be gratuitous or make the book longer. That just upsets me and I skip them. A good author shouldn’t have to add sex scenes to have a good book. Hell, I’ve read excellent romance novels where there isn’t any explicitly shown sex.

And don’t just write the same old scenes. Spice it up. Add a person, toys, an interesting location, something to make it a little different. Having nice old missionary sex is great and all, but romances aren’t supposed to be safe and boring, otherwise we wouldn’t read them. Jazz it up, be different. Heck, a fave author of mine, Tara Lain just wrote a book with an underwater sex scene. Great! Be adventurous, let us live dangerously and excitingly through your characters.

Basically, one simple rule. More isn’t better; quality over quantity. It’s simple and yet it’s a trap that many authors fall into from time to time.

Anyways, sorry for the rant and thanks for sharing!!

tiger-chick-1(at)hotmail(dot)com

17. K. Reed
    June 9th, 2012 at 10:30 am · Link

Wow, so many different answers! I love it. I agree, it’s all about the story itself. Too much sex and it’s a turnoff (or completely unbelievable!) Too little and I wonder what these people are thinking! It’s always a nice balance.

Once again, I want to thank everyone for stopping by. I’ll be drawing names randomly next week and will let the winners know via email and probably an announcement on my blog.